Monday, December 31, 2012

Kyden's Name

I wanted to write how we came up with Kyden’s name because it was kind of a special experience for me. I can’t remember the exact date we finally decided on a name, and since it was a process that took several weeks, I figured it’d be easier to write a separate post rather than try to squeeze it in somewhere.

When Scott and I first found out we were pregnant, we came up with several names we wanted to use for a boy or a girl. But once we found out about Kyden’s condition, these names just didn’t fit. I actually spent a lot of my free time researching names from all sorts of sources, but nothing felt right. Either I wouldn’t like it or Scott wouldn’t like it or we’d like it but not for this baby.

Then one morning as I was getting ready for work, not thinking about anything in particular as I hopped in the shower, all of a sudden “Kyden” popped into my head. We had come across the name Kayden, but because we have a nephew named Kade, we never considered it. But Kyden...I thought the name over and over again and the more I thought about it, the more I was sure this was going to be his name. 

As for Kyden’s middle name, we also struggled for a long time figuring out what would work best. We tried a lot of things – family names, random names, anything we could think of. But again nothing seemed to work. Then one day while I was doing the dishes, not even thinking about names, ‘James’ popped into my head out of nowhere with this feeling of incredible peace and contentment. And again, I just new that our son was supposed to have the middle name of James. Its not a family name (that we know of) and didn’t come from anywhere in particular.

So it was a week or two before Kyden passed away that we decided on the name Kyden James Fife. And we’ve both loved it ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment