Monday, December 31, 2012

Week 9

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t nervous. I was actually quite petrified that we’d show up for our first appointment only to find out there wasn’t a baby in there. In fact, I'd spoken to my sister a couple of days before and she told me about one of her friends who went to her 9 week appointment recently only to find that the baby didn't have a heartbeat. So of course that was all I could think about as we sat in the waiting room. I mean, what if I’d imagined the positive pregnancy test? Could there really be a child growing within me? I didn’t even feel too sick yet. Just tired. And for some reason one of the strongest pregnancy symptoms I had was being able to smell/taste the plastic from Ziploc bags. It ruined many lunches.

But we were soon called back to our appointment. Because I was there only a couple of months earlier, Dr. Brown didn’t need to do as many things as normal. We really jumped right into the ultrasound to see what we could see.

I laid down and the lights went off. I tried my best to keep my breathing under control as my belly was gooped up. Scott sat at my head watching. Dr. Brown pulled the portable ultrasound closer, grabbed the magic wand and started moving it around on my belly. Then before I knew it, there he/she was on the monitor. Our little peanut. And we could SEE the heartbeat. That was the coolest thing I’d ever seen! Then Dr. Brown turned on the Doppler and we could HEAR the heartbeat. I never wanted to stop. I could have laid there the entire pregnancy and just watched that baby grow and develop and never gotten bored.

Of course that wasn’t possible and far too soon the lights came back on, Dr. Brown cleaned off my belly and he helped me sit up. The appointment went very well. For the first time since we’d found out I was pregnant, I actually had proof that a little someone was indeed growing inside me. We got to take images from the ultrasound and I didn’t want to take my eyes off them.
 
 


 
Yet even after this, I still felt that anxiety. I knew there was a baby growing, so why did I still feel so uneasy? We decided to wait until we were twelve weeks along before we told our families because supposedly, once you make it to twelve weeks the chance of miscarriage goes down significantly. We figured if we made it until then, we’d be home free, right?

9 Weeks, 5 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment